Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Time for Reflection

The last week in Oxford was definitely the most stressful but at the same time, the most rewarding. I spent all of Wednesday writing my final paper for Dr. Archer (literally ten hours in the Trinity library basement) and then cramming for my International Mass Communications final. Both assignments went well, as I received an A on my final and felt like I ended on a strong note in my final tutorial session. After arguing about the outbreak of witch-hunting for a good hour, I was relieved that my academic work in Oxford had come to a close. It was amazing how my mood suddenly changed once I walked out of the tutorial, as a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was finally back to my stress-free, laid back self. Steph and I had a celebratory lunch at Edamame, an authentic Japanese restaurant and walked around town for one last time. We returned our bicycles (finally), and packed up all our belongings. I managed to make it back with much more than I had come with and had to purchase an additional duffle bag to carry it all. We all went out for one last night in Oxford, and of course, made it to the Purple Turtle. Friday morning, the group flight left much earlier than Steph and I. I woke up around 4 a.m. and could hear the rest of the house leaving. I was sad that it all was really over. Around noon, Steph, Kyle, and I crammed into a cab with all of our luggage and made our way down to the bus station. Once getting to the airport, we were in serious need of carts to transport all of our luggage. We looked ridiculous with the amount we were travelling with. We checked our bags, had lunch, and got to the terminal. The flight back was not that bad, despite the small child that kept poking his head through our seats. We both were anxious to get home and in two days, be back in Athens. I was relieved once getting off the plane, getting through customs, finding all of my luggage, and finally meeting my parents, to know that everything had gone okay. My body was still in tact and I hadn’t even lost anything on the trip! There were so many things that could have gone wrong studying abroad and I was so lucky that none of those things happened to me.
Some time has passed now that I have made my way back to not only the U.S., but to my stomping grounds in Athens. It has taken me a while now to get back into a normal routine and on some sort of schedule. The time difference also messed me up for awhile. It seems like so long ago that I was saying goodbye and packing up my bags. I know now why my mom placed so much value on study abroad programs. I really do believe they change you. I’ve already noticed such a difference in my attitude and beliefs between last year and this year. It made me realize why I am in college and what I should be valuing in my last two years. It also made me eager to learn and excited about my major. I like being able to participate in class and stand my ground. I know now that if I really put my mind to something and apply myself, I can be very successful. I have also felt such a close bond with the people I became close with on the trip since being back in Athens. I get so happy every time I run into one of them on campus or see them out. Its only these people that truly understand what we experienced over there.
The trip was completely comprised of highs and lows, but the highs really did make up for my low points. The low points made me realize things about myself I never knew before. And the highs were what got me through the day. In complete honesty, the trip was not exactly what I had imagined it to be. But what it was ended up being so much better. I did something and studied somewhere that I never would have the chance to ever again in my life. Through reading countless Reformation history books, building friendships with people I thought I never would have, travelling by myself all over the U.K. and Europe, and figuring out a foreign country on my own for the first time, I stretched my mind beyond belief. And above all, I can honestly say I feel smarter and know so much more about myself after studying at Oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment