Tuesday, August 3, 2010

BBC, Among Other Things

Let me just start off by saying that I cannot believe I have been here for a month now. I feel like (well I haven’t, lets be honest), had a moment in a day where I have not been doing something. I can’t imagine studying abroad for a shorter amount of time than this. When would you see anything? I already feel like I have failed to see all that I wanted to. Sunday night, I had what could potentially have been my first sort of anxiety attack. I’ve never had such an elevated stress level as I have on this trip. Whether it be writing one of my 10-page papers until 5 in the morning or trying to make a flight to Amsterdam, I’ve never been under this kind of stress. Even my weekends are not any less stressful because I’m constantly trying to figure out where I am or what we are going to do. That said, it is making me so much stronger, and smarter, for it. I’m learning so much, not just in my classes, but travelling to foreign places. So come Sunday night, I began to freak out a bit about how little time I had left here and how much more work I still have to do, things I want to accomplish, and places I want to see. I tossed and turned all night long, not sleeping more than an hour total. I opted out of the what would have been a five hour event of our speaker, drinks on the lawn, and formal dinner, to stay in and get work done. I felt somewhat better about things when I went to bed. I had gotten a head start on my paper and booked the hotel for Paris. Today, we went back into London for a tour of the BBC. We got there early and were right across from the Westfield mall so I looked around a few stores but refrained myself from buying anything. The tour was pretty interesting and the question mark shaped building was huge (seven floors). Afterwards, my Grady class went to a Syrian restaurant and I sat next to Dr. Rhodes. She is such a sweet lady and reassured me on my work here and gave me advice on one of my Broadcast professors for this semester. I fell asleep on the bus back into Oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment